Wednesday 5 September 2012

Sew Deco

Hi all,

This morning I was at my sewing group and today was "show and tell"!  We've recently decided, as a group, to do a little project every couple of months - we pick a word out of a hat and we all have to do a small art/journal quilt, based on this theme.

Our word this time was "DECO". To make things easy for myself I decided to reproduce a Deco ATC I made back in January.  Mmm, trickier than I thought - the difficult bit was resizing it - I had to put all my mathematical skills to the test and being a perfectionist Virgo I had to get it all EXACT! - fortunately though I did get my Maths 'O' Level 30 years ago and remembered just enough to figure it out.

Here's the (picture heavy) step-by-step ...



precise measuring!
the "red carpet"



lots of silver lame
the glamorous lady



      
It was all done with Bondaweb and straight stitching.  I used pelmet vilene as a base and the finished size is 12" x 18".

The deco lady was copied and resized from some wrapping paper and printed onto inkjet cotton fabric.

Finally, I blinged it up with tiny glass beads.  These were glued on individually, I was like Clarence the Cross-Eyed Lion by the time I'd finished.


showing the bling
more bling
     



Finished!


I'd like to enter her into two challenge:
Anything But a Card (a new challenge) - "Anything Goes, and
Let's Craft and Create - "Anything but a Card"

Thanks for sticking with me through this long post, see you all again soon.

Suze xx

20 comments:

Aileen said...

I remember your ATC and I'm in awe you've managed to recreate it into a sewing. She will make a marvelous wall hanging. The addition of the beads is fab. Have your eyes uncrossed now?? x

Mandy said...

This is such a beautiful project. Thank you so much for sharing it with us and joining in with our latest challenge at Let's Craft and Create.

Von said...

I tae my hat off to you Suze tou have done an amazing job of recreating your ATC :) hope you have somewhere to hang and show it off :)
Von ♥

Valerie-Jael said...

This is fantastic! I hope you can now look straight ahead again?! You can really be proud of this wonderful piece! Valerie
PS Thanks for the good wishes, the scan is now done!

Diana Fernandez said...

I love this little quilt! You can definitely see all the patience and love that went into it! Thanks for joining us at anything but a card!

craftingwithmabel said...

Wow, I'm in awe, you passed O'Level Maths hehe. Actually so did I, but I don't think I could use those skills now.
This is gorgeous, I love Art Deco and you've really captured the spirit here.
I admire your talent, I can't sew in a straight line!

Diane said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning. Thanks for joining in our challenge at Let's Craft & Create.

Christy said...

This is just GORGEOUS!!! Seriously out of this world gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at ABAC :) :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

As I've been away the last weekend and was very busy the last few days I'm catching up the blogs. You've been very creative and there are wonderful cards to see.

Meggymay said...

Wow, awesome art, this is a real show stopper.
Yvonne

cheryl said...

oh wow Hun this is just fantastic oh i love love this too bits,the detail hun is just amazing,so so talented you are hun,hugs Cherylxxxxx

chrissie said...

Just fantastic. It has a real Wow factor for sure.

Love Chrissie xx

Julia S-W said...

I loved reading about how this was made Suze! I get very annoyed when having to size things perfectly but you have done this perfectly. I love your piece - what will you do with her now? Your lady is beautiful and I can't believe you sat and put all those beads on individually - have your eyes turned back yet?!
Thank you for supporting ABAC's first challenge with your gorgeous work!
Juliaxx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

OOoooh Suze - this is stunningly blingtastic! You must have the patience of a saint to attach all those beads individually and work out all the complex measurements. Well worth the effort though!
Hugs, Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

WOW! Fantastic project Suze.
Florence x

Jenni's Jems said...

Oh Susan I LOVE this!!!! can't wait to see it in real life it is totally stunning and well the bling is just totally awesome ,well done you've created a masterpiece! x

Victoria said...

Goodness me, I can't believe you've managed to transfer your ATC to a sewing masterpiece! It is stunning!

G Peplow said...

Hi Suze, WOW congrats I thought your card was pretty fantastic but you've excelled your self, this is just magnificent! Look at all the beautiful diamonds :0) Thank you too for your lovely comments, Gay x

Margaret said...

This is stunning Suze. I'm not surprised you were cross-eyed glueing all those beads on!!
Margaret x

Anne said...

Wowza!